- Why is the ONC holding the Healthy New Year Video Challenge?
- What are the criteria for the winning submissions?
- Who is eligible to enter the competition?
- How do I enter?
- What format or file type should I use for my submission?
- How does public voting work?
- What will ONC and ChallengePost do with my submission?
- Can more than one person work on a submission and receive credit for it? And if the submission wins a prize, how will the prize money be split among the creators?
- Can I enter more than one submission?
- How do I follow the Health New Year Video Challenge and get updates?
- Who can I contact if I have questions about the Healthy New Year Video Challenge?
Why is the ONC holding the Healthy New Year Video Challenge?
Engaging consumers and patients in their health and health care is a critical step toward achieving the goals laid out in the National Quality Strategy of a better quality health care system that is designed to meet the needs of patients and families. Individuals have a greater impact than anyone else on their own health, which they shape every day through personal decisions and behaviors. Recognizing the importance of health IT for greater patient and family engagement, ONC’s Federal Health IT Strategic Plan: 2011-2015 states as one of its five goals: “Empower Individuals with Health IT to Improve their Health and the Health Care System." ONC is working to achieve this goal by improving consumer access to their electronic health information, spurring the development of tools to make that information actionable, and shifting attitudes so people feel comfortable using new tools and health information to be better partners in their own health care.
The goal of the Healthy New Year Video Challenge is for you to create inspiring and instructive videos that motivate you and others, and to use health IT to make 2012 a healthier new year.
The Healthy New Year Video Challenge is the first in a series of 2012 challenges. We’ll be asking the public to share stories about how health technology has had a positive impact on their lives or the lives of loved ones. Future challenges will highlight using heath information technology (health IT) to maintain healthy hearts, support the role of caregivers, and manage your health care dollars and time more wisely.
What are the criteria for the winning submissions?
Your submission should consist of a video no longer than 2 minutes, plus a text description of your resolution (including how you will keep it throughout the year) and your plan to use health IT. The HHS panel of judges will select the winners based on the quality of the idea (includes relevance and originality of your plan to use health IT); implementation of the idea (includes the quality of the video content, narrative and production); and the potential impact on health IT adoption (includes whether the video is compelling, instructive and easy to follow so that others can achieve a similar resolution using health IT).
Submissions that contain inappropriate content or consist of someone else’s work will be disqualified. Please see the Official Rules for further details.
Who is eligible to enter the competition?
The Healthy New Year Video Challenge is open to individuals over the age of 18, as well as teams of individuals over the age of 18, who are citizens or permanent residents of the United States and its territories.
Team members must be at least 18, but your video can include minors under 18 as long as the necessary consent forms are provided. (“Team members” do not include people who appear in the video but don’t make any other contributions to the submission.) For details on eligibility, review the Official Rules.
Release/consent forms are required for everyone who appears in the video, regardless of age. If your video features children (minors under 18), a parent or legal guardian must sign the consent form.
How do I enter?
To enter, you must do the following:
- Create an account on healthynewyear.challenge.gov or log in with an existing ChallengePost account.
- On healthynewyear.challenge.gov, click Accept this challenge to register your interest in participating. This step ensures that you will receive important challenge updates.
- Create a video and make sure it meets the following requirements (please read the Official Rules for complete requirements):
-Your video contains ONE health-related resolution
-Your video shows how you will use a specific technology to achieve your resolution (see the challenge description for examples of technologies and tools)
-Your video includes a description of how you plan to maintain/keep your resolution
-Your video directs viewers to www.HealthIT.gov for more information
-Your video is no longer than 2 minutes
- Confirm that you have read and agreed to the Official Rules. Submit your video by including a link to the video on YouTube.com or Vimeo.com and a text description of your resolution and how you’ll use technology to achieve it. Upload consent forms for everyone who appears in your video, regardless of age.
What format or file type should I use for my submission?
- Your video should be uploaded to YouTube.com or Vimeo.com. Paste the link in the Video field on the Enter a Video tab.
- Enter a text description of your resolution and plan to use health technology in the Description field on the Enter a Video tab.
- To submit consent forms, you must first print out the forms and sign them by hand — typed names will not be accepted as signatures. Scan your signed forms and combine them into one file (ZIP, PDF, doc; any single file). Upload one file on the Enter a Video tab.
How does public voting work?
Visitors to the site can vote for as many submissions as they like, but no more than once per day for a single submission. At the end of the public voting period, the votes will be tallied and verified to determine a Popular Choice Prize winner.
What will ONC and ChallengePost do with my submission?
ONC and ChallengePost will have the right to display and publicize your submission to the public on the challenge.gov website, the HealthIT.gov website — ONC’s one-stop shop for consumer related information about health IT — and partner sites. They will also be allowed to publicize your name in connection with the submission and the challenge.
Winners may be contacted after the conclusion of the challenge and asked to share how they've been able to meet their New Year's resolution and what they've learned from using health information technology.
Can more than one person work on a submission and receive credit for it? And if the submission wins a prize, how will the prize money be split among the creators?
Yes, teams are encouraged. If a team of individuals is selected as a prize winner, the prize will be awarded to the lead representative of the team. It will be up to the team leader to reallocate the prize money among the team members identified at the time of submission.
Can I enter more than one submission?
Yes. There is no limit to how many times an eligible person or team may enter. An individual may also join more than one team.
How do I follow the Health New Year Video Challenge and get updates?
Sign up on the challenge website and click Follow or Accept this challenge to receive email updates. Follow us on Twitter: @ONC_HealthIT
Who can I contact if I have questions about the Healthy New Year Video Challenge?
Email us at support@ChallengePost.com.